Burg Creuzburg (Creuzburg Castle)
In earlier times (after 531) the Werra River on the trade road <<via regia>> secured a Frankish kingdom called Milingen. According to old records Bonifatius, an apostle of the Germanen, erected a cross on the castle hill which adorns the castle courtyard and after which the town was named. At one time there was a Benedictine cloister on the castle hill that was visited by Emperor Heinrich IV and Heinrich V. The area rose to prominence when the landgraves of Thuringia (Ludwig III) through shrewd political manoeuvres acquired land here.
In 1170 a castle was built, creating a strategically important locality between Thuringia and Hessia. The fountain (37.5 metres deep), the residence including the living quarters of the holy Elisabeth, the two-storey circular wall (340 metres long) an parts of the former palace that was rebuilt in 1740 into a baroque duchy house (today housing a hotel, restaurant and registry) date back to the origins of the castle. The Creuzburg is one of the five castles of the landgraves of Thuringia. In her prime it often served as the residence of Ludwig IV and his wife, the holy Elisabeth. In 1222 Elisabeth gave birth to Hermann II, who died at the castle in 1241. In 1227 Ludwig IV bid farewell to his wife at the Creuzburg, leaving for the crusades from which he did not return. This marked the beginning of difficult times for Elisabeth who left the landgrave court in Eisenach to move permanently to Creuzburg. It was here that she gave birth to her daughter Gertrude. Later she moved to Marburg where she founded a hospital in which she worked until her early death in 1231. As a result of the war of 1247— 1264 for succession among Thuringia landgraves the area and with it Creuzburg lost in importance. Nevertheless, numerous illustrious personalities visited the town throughout the centuries, including Martin Luther, Philipp Melanchton, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and Emperor Napoleon. In 1898 the Creuzburg was sold by the duchy of Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach. In 1945 it became property of the state and was subsequently used as a homeless shelter, school, kindergarten and holiday camp. In 1971 access to the Creuzburg was restricted and it was only in 198 I that citizens of Creuzburg began the painstaking restoration of the Creuzburg to its former glory. In 1990 the Creuzburg was handed over to the municipality and was once again made accessible to the public. The Creuzburg houses an art and folk museum. Concerts are regularly held at the knight hall. Of special note is the castle’s inner courtyard that with its special ambience and the 500-year-old lime tree often hosts special events (art night, middle age festival etc.). It is also possible to witness the work of potter masters G. Naumann and to purchase items from the wide variety of his collection.
- Romanische Burganlage von 1170
- Residenz der Thüringer Landgrafen
- Aufenthaltsort der Heiligen Elisabeth
- hier gebar sie 1222 ihren Sohn Hermann
Museum Burg Creuzburg
- kleiner Folterkeller (Justiz- und Amtsgeschichte)
- Ausstellungen zur Stadt- und Burggeschichte
- Creuzburger Heimatstube
- wechselnde Ausstellungen
Öffnungszeiten des Museums:
Dienstag bis Sonntag je 10 Uhr bis 17 Uhr (von April bis Oktober)
Dienstag bis Sonntag je 10 Uhr bis 16 Uhr (von November bis März)
Letzter Einlass Museum ca. 1 Stunde vor Schließung.
Telefon: 036926 - 82533
Auf der Burg befinden sich außerdem:
- das Standesamt der Stadt Creuzburg
- das Hotel-Restaurant "Auf der Creuzburg"
- die Töpferwerkstatt Gottfried Naumann
- ein geplegter Burggarten mit Biergarten
Auf der Creuzburg finden regelmäßig Konzerte statt. Einmal im Jahr finden die Creuzburger Kunstnacht und das Mittelalterfest statt. Bitte schauen Sie in unseren Veranstaltungskalender.
Burg- und Stadtführungen können Sie buchen
- telefonisch unter:
036926 - 98047 (Touristinformation)
- oder per Internet unter