The town church’s origin can be traced back to 1180 through its tower was erected much later, in 1428. The roman chancel is not only impressive but also important from an art history point of view. In building this church the landgraves of Thuringia intended to demonstrate their power as the church offers a striking manifestation of the architecture of the Staufer period. The chancel survived dramatic changes throughout the centuries, including the Great Fire of 1765 and the inferno of World War II (April 1, 1945). Extensive painstaking restoration lasted until 1981. A commemorative plaque, dedicated to Creuzburg’s most famous son, composer Michael Praetorius, was placed on the South side of the church’s exterior wall in 1921. Further restoration in currently in progress.
The <<Gottesackerkirche>> is the oldest church building in
Creuzburg and serves as an exhibition place for the nature
park Hainich — Werratal. The church was located outside the town wall and changed its name frequently throughout the centuries (11” century — Marienkirche; 13’ century Pfarrkirche, Frauenkirche in the Middle Ages). It fell into ruins after Reformation and following its reconstruction in 1621 burnt down completely in 1634. In 1710 the church was rebuilt by Creuzburg architect Johann Georg Busch, though without the tower and chancel. Until l98l the church was used for services of the Creuzburg church community. The cemetery surrounding the church was used until the end of the 19” century.
The <<Liboriuskappelle>> is situated next to Werra Bridge. Built in 1499 with timber in the late gothic style, the chapel attracted many pilgrims in the 15th century who came for the cross on the nearby hill, hoping for healing. Liborius, a catholic saint, bishop of Le Mans, France announced Christianity here and was prayed to in order to alleviate suffering (a connection to the nearby sole quellen is assumed).
Inside the chapel, there are frescos dating back to 1520, depicting judgement day, scenes of the life of Jesus Christ and the holy Elisabeth. They bear evidence of the amazing work of a local artist that is unique in Thuringia. Due to the Reformation the frescos were covered with paint in 1526 and were only rediscovered in the mid-I 830s. The chapel was damage in April 1945 and subsequently humidity damaged the frescos. Today the frescos only speak to the skilled observer who is able to adjust to the twilight. Creuzburg’s church community celebrates services during the summer months and at times small concerts take place in the chapel.